CONTACT ME

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To contact me please use either

the contact box or email

pawspurrsandtailwags@gmail.com

Let me know which service you are looking for, including if possible the dates you need me and the area  you live

THANK YOU and I look forward

to hearing from you

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Covering Rainworth, Blidworth and Ravenshead - Thank you

Contact Box

Foods & Recipes 

There are a lot of foods, plants and flowers that are very dangerous for your cat and dog, I have listed a few of them and, what they can do to your beloved pet - some you may know, some items may surprise 

CHOCOLATE - it is now becoming widely known that chocolate is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Theobromine is the offending substance here. Caffeine and other stimulants including theobromine (found in chocolate) can poison both cats and dogs, causing high heart rate, muscle tremors and seizures

Onions and Garlic - Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in cats, causing a form of anaemia called Heinz body anaemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount

Pointsetta - One of the most popular Christmas plants - these plants contain a thick milky irritant sap - signs your cat or dog has ingested the sap include vomiting, and depression 

Mushrooms - Mushrooms can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in your pets body, cause shock and in turn result in death

Grapes & Raisins - These foods' toxicity has only recently been discovered, at the moment the study has only been on dogs, it is also believed these fruits may also affect cats, causing the sudden development of kidney failure within 48 hours of digesting

Milk - Although milk is not toxic to cats and dogs, it may have adverse effects. Many cats and dogs are lactose-intolerant, which means the lactose in the milk and may produce stomach upset, cramps and gassiness

Xylitol - is a sugar substitute commonly found in gum, sweets and mints - it is VERY toxic to both dogs and cats and can result in hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure and death. Symptoms of Xylitol consumption appear within 15-20 minutes of consumpution and include vomiting, lethargy, tremors, seizures and coma...VERY IMPORTANT, if you suspect your pet has consumed Xylitol contact your veterinarian IMMEDIATELY

Lilies - Some members of the lily family may result in serious illness in cats, particularly Easter Lilies, Tiger Lilies and Rubrum Lilies - they have all been known to cause kidney failure

What to do if your pet has digested a toxic food or substance

Be prepared! It is far better to stay calm, know who to call and what to do instead of panicking which could waste critical minutes that could save your pet's life

When to induce vomiting. For many types of poisoning, it is advised to induce vomiting soon after ingestion, before the chemical can do damage. BEFORE, you do so contact your vet to make sure it is the right cause of action. It is also critical to properly identify the ingested substance. To induce vomiting in pets give them household hydrogen peroxide 3% USP by mouth, using a syringe (NO needle of course) Do not try to pour down their throat, instead pull the lips away from the side of the mouth to make a pocket, to deposit the liquid. It is suggested 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of animals weight to a maximum of 3 to 4 tablespoons. Depending upon weight. Before dosing, first give them a little bread or other soft food, so there is something to bring up along with the stomach contents. DO NOT induce vomiting if your pet is lethargic, unconscious, convulsing, having a seizure or is in shock. Also if your pet has ingested bones, sharp objects or petroleum products such as gasoline or lighter fluid. 

Remember, for any poisoning, get your pet to the vet as soon as possible. Temporary first aid measures alone are NOT enough. When in doubt, ALWAYS, err on the side of caution and call your vet. It is better to be wrong and have your pet live rather than to regret not taking any action, if it is indeed something serious.

Always have your vet contact information and a first aid kit to hand 

Some other symptoms/signs you should take your pet to the vet any time of the day or night 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PLEASE NOTE: The above recommendations are for informational purposes - it is always the pet owner's responsibility to contact their vet in the case of an emergency

* Seizures

* Fainting or Collapse

* Eye injury - no matter how mild

* Vomiting or Diarrhea ....more than two/three times in an hour

* Allergic reactions, such as swelling around the face 

* Thermal stress - from being either too hot or too cold

* Trauma - such as being hit by a car, there could be internal bleeding

* Any respiratory problem

* Straining to urinate or defecate

Click on buttons below for delicious homemade treat recipes for your cat or dog